The Lemon Grove city attorney has prepared the following title and summary of the chief purpose and points of the proposed measure:
This Ordinance is intended to establish procedures for the establishment, regulation and taxation of Marijuana Dispensaries in Lemon Grove under the State Compassionate Use Act, approved by California voters in 1996, and the Medical Marijuana Program Act, approved by the Legislature in 2003. Marijuana Dispensaries are to be made up of collectives, cooperatives associations of qualified patients and their primary care givers to cultivate exchange and distribute medical cannabis to qualified patients and their primary caregivers.
Dispensaries that operate under this Ordinance shall be required to meet certain operational standards. The facility shall have
· security guards, surveillance cameras, an alarm system, and appropriate lighting in and around the facility.
· Hours of operation shall be daily form 8:00 A.M. to 10:00 P.M.
· No marijuana shall be visible from outside of the premises.
· No marijuana may be consumed on the premises.
· Other restrictions regarding the operation of the facility as per the terms of the Ordinance attached to this Petition.
The City must either grant or deny a Permit within 15 days of receipt of a completed application.
The location of Marijuana Dispensaries shall be in zones of the City that are not primarily for residential use.
No dispensary shall be initially located within 600 feet of a school or playground or within 1000 feet of another dispensary.
Applications for a Permit shall be made to the Lemon Grove Development Services Department. No Permit shall be issued to a Dispensary that has a director who has been convicted of a serious felony within the last seven years.
The City may charge fees to recover its costs reasonably borne under this
If the State does not impose a sales tax beyond the normal sales tax associated with the sale of medical marijuana, the City may collect a 2 and one half percent sales tax.
· If the State imposes a higher sales tax than the normal sales tax in Lemon Grove,
· the City may recover a one-percent sales tax for each retail transaction of medical marijuana.
· The local sales tax shall be deposited in the City’s General Fund for general City use.
If any portion of this Ordinance is invalidated, the remainder shall remain in effect. If approved, this Ordinance shall only be amended by a vote of the Citizens of Lemon Grove at an election.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS SUMMARY IS INCLUDED SINCE WE CONSIDER IT TO BE AN ACCURATE, THOROUGH AND CONCISE EXPLANATION OF THE INITIATIVE. THE INCLUSION OF THIS DOCUMENT IN OUR PRESENTATION MATERIAL DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN ENDORSEMENT OF THE INITIATIVE BY THE CITY ATTORNEY, WHO ACTS AS A NUETRAL PARTY IN THIS CITIZENS’ INITIATIVE PROCEEDINGS.